When you’re gardening, nothing can ruin a beautiful day quicker than pests. Flying pests like mosquitoes can carry West Nile virus, and bees and wasps can cause painful stings that could lead to severe and possibly fatal allergic reactions.
How to Keep Garden Pests Away
Here are some steps that you can take to help keep them away and out of your garden.
- Position flowering plants away from places you frequent such as doorways, walkways, decks and mailboxes to avoid attracting stinging pests.
- White clover and flowering weeds attract bees, so keep them out of your garden.
- Trim back shrubbery surrounding your home to limit potential harbourage sites.
- Standing water creates an ideal breeding source for mosquitoes, so pour out water from plant pots, bird baths and other stagnant water sources regularly.
- Use a weed trimmer to thin vegetation near your home, as thick vegetation provides a place for bees and mosquitoes to nest.
Finally, to avoid bites, don’t forget to use insect repellent on any exposed skin when outside. Keep as much skin covered with clothing as possible.