There’s nothing quite like the smell of cookies in the oven wafting through your home during the holidays. You probably don’t count on adding pests to your invitation list when cooking for a family get-together or holiday party, but pests are just as attracted to the smell of food as your guests.
How to Keep Kitchen Pests Away
When cooking at home, keep the following tips in mind to limit odors that invite pests to join the party.
- Wipe up all crumbs and spills, as even the tiniest crumbs can attract and sustain pests.
- Clean dirty dishes as soon as possible to eliminate easy access to leftover food.
- Keep leftovers in tightly sealed containers to reduce odor, and clean pantries thoroughly, making sure to throw away expired food.
- Clean, tightly seal, and line garbage cans. Take out trash frequently, and store outdoor trashcans away from your home.
- Don’t forget the floor of your kitchen. Vacuum, sweep, and mop as necessary after cooking. This will help eradicate dust, debris, and food particles from cracks and crevices.
- Consider using organic cleaners in your sinks and kitchen. They breaks down grime buildup using naturally occurring bacteria instead of chemicals.